Feria del Mariachi 2021
- High School Varsity
- High School Non-Varsity
- Middle School/Jr. High School
- Minimum of 8 students
ALL ensembles must contain the following instruments/parts:
- Voice, trumpet, violin/flute, guitarron, vihuela, and guitar.
- Optional: Harp, guitarra de golpe
NOTE: All vocalists MUST also play an instrument.
- All students must be enrolled at the participating school or organization to be eligible to compete.
- Directors are not allowed to be a part of the performance in any capacity.
- Absolutely no instruction may be given during the performance. Violation of this will result in a point deduction of 1-50 points, depending on the amount of instruction given.
There are no regulations as to what music is performed. However, music must be memorized and performed within the time limit. Music stands or music on stage will not be permitted.
Competition Show Length:
The on stage timing will follow this timeline:
- Every ensemble will receive a MAXIMUM of 10 minutes of on-stage time.
- There is also a MINIMUM amount of time for performing.
- 6 minutes for Middle School
- 8 minutes for High School
Competition Video Requirements:
- Must be filmed this semester.
- Mariachi should be on an auditorium stage or in a large room.
- PA system is optional but vocal lines must be audible at all times.
- The video device must capture the entire ensemble in one shot. No panning or editing.
- After video has been created, it must be uploaded to YouTube as one untitled video.
- IMPORTANT: Copy and paste the video link into your registration form.
There will be a total of 3 judges, evaluating the groups on Tone, Technique, Interpretation, and General Effect. All judges will be provided with a judge sheet for written comments. All materials will be emailed to the directors after the competition and after the competition registration fee has been received. If you wish to view a sample judge sheet, please contact Competition Committee head, Mrs. Alma Quintanilla, by email at: email@example.com.
Plaques will be awarded for the following categories:
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place High School Varsity
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd High School Non-Varsity
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Middle School/Jr. High School
*NOTE: If any category includes only 1 participating group, the group will receive a participation award in lieu of a first place plaque.