Feria del Mariachi 2020 Competition has been CANCELED.
Texas State University - Evans Auditorium
Texas State University - Evans Auditorium
- High School Varsity
- High School Non-Varsity
- Middle School/Jr. High School
- Minimum of 8 students
NOTE: See stage plot below, and plan accordingly. Changes will not be made to accommodate larger groups.
ALL ensembles must contain the following instruments/parts:
- Voice, trumpet, violin/flute, guitarron, vihuela, and guitar.
- Optional: Harp (a harp microphone will be available)
NOTE: All vocalists MUST also play an instrument.
- All students must be enrolled at the participating school or organization to be eligible to compete.
- Director(s) are allowed to accompany their ensemble as they enter the competition stage to assist with microphone placement, etc.
- Directors must leave the main stage area before the performance begins.
- Directors are not allowed to be a part of the performance in any capacity.
- Absolutely no instruction may be given during the performance. Violation of this will result in a point deduction of 1-50 points, depending on the amount of instruction given.
There are no regulations as to what music is performed. However, music must be memorized and performed within the time limit. Music stands or music on stage will not be permitted.
- The competition schedule will be assigned at random, and will be emailed to the directors the week of the the competition, Monday, April 27th. Your time and any updates will also be provided at the check-in table when you arrive.
- All directors must come by the check-in table, a minimum of an hour, before their competition time to announce their arrival. You will then receive further instructions as to warm-up locations.
- There will be two warm-up rooms available, and each group will have access to one prior to their scheduled performance.
- The competing group and 2 directors will receive wristbands to participate in the competition and enter the auditorium. All others (chaperones/parents, non-competing students, and extra directors) must purchase an audience ticket at the door, the day of the event.
Competition Stage Set-Up:
- There will be a total of 20 microphones on stage for the competition, see stage plot below. Directors must adjust their microphone usage accordingly.
Competition Stage Timing:
The on stage timing will follow this timeline:
- Upon entering the stage, groups and director(s) are given 4 minutes to adjust microphones and perform any on stage warm-up needed. Director(s) can be onstage for this.
- After this 4 minute time period, the emcee will enter the stage. Director(s) must leave the stage at this time.
- Once the emcee has introduced the group, judging will begin.
- Timing will begin once the first note is played by the ensemble.
- Every ensemble will receive a MAXIMUM of 10 minutes of on-stage time.
- There is also a MINIMUM amount of time for performing.
- 6 minutes for Middle School
- 8 minutes for High School
- Following the performance, groups will have 1 minute to exit the stage.
There will be a total of 3 judges, evaluating the groups on Tone, Technique, Interpretation, and General Effect. All judges will be provided with a judge sheet for written comments. All materials will be given to the directors after the awards ceremony. If you wish to view a sample judge sheet, please contact Competition Committee head, Mrs. Alma Quintanilla, by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the competition, we will present a matinee concert performance for all the competition groups followed by the awards ceremony. Trophies and Section Awards will be presented for the following categories:
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place High School Varsity
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd High School Non-Varsity
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Middle School/Jr. High School
- Best Overall Vocals, Violins, Trumpets, and Armonia - High School Varsity
- Best Overall Vocals, Violins, Trumpets, and Armonia - High School Non-Varsity
- Best Overall Vocals, Violins, Trumpets, and Armonia - Middle/Jr. High School
*NOTE: If any category includes only 1 participating group, the group will receive a participation awards in lieu of a first place trophy.